This Saturday, DANK Haus, 4740 N. Western Ave., will pull away the scaffolding to reveal its renovated first-floor facade. The entire community is invited to an afternoon of free festivities, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m., which include a ribbon cutting (fingers crossed for another giant pair of scissors), refreshments, live music and a first look at a newly refreshed “Lost German Chicago” exhibit. Donations are still being accepted to help defray the costs of the $370,000 facelift.
Founded in 1959, the DANK Haus German American Cultural Center promotes German culture, heritage and language through its museum, art gallery, library, language school and social programming. The organization has occupied its current home since 1967. The building on Western Avenue dates back to 1927 and was designed by Paul Gerhardt, who also served as the architect of Lane Tech High School, 2501 W. Addison St., and Cook County Hospital.